Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, Sharp, Grated
- 2 cups unbleached flour, Sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- butter, Softened
- butter, Melted
- Grease the bottoms of 12 muffin pan cups.
- Grate the cheese into a bowl, if not already grated and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk all at once.
- Stir with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- Gently form the dough into a ball and put on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead it lightly with the fingertips 10 or 15 times.
- Roll the dough into a 12 X 10-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into 5 strips and spread with the softened butter.
- Sprinkle four strips with the grated cheddar cheese and stack the four on top of one another and top with the fifth strip.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and place on end in the muffin cups.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with the melted butter.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter.