Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These should be served piping hot, right out of the oven. If you are having more than 4 people at the table make a double batch.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup packed aged grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a midium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne, and salt.
- Whisk gently to blend.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter and Cheddar cheese until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- (Or pulse in a food processor.) Add the buttermilk and stir until just blended; do not overmix.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 12 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.
I just realized these only had 5 reviews. Since I make them all the time I figured I should review them. They are great, easy and go with everything. Can't get much better than that. More people need to try these biscuits.
My hubby whipped these up for me while I made the rest of dinner. WOW!!! This recipe is a keeper.
We loved these! I went on a quick search for a drop biscuit that I could throw together and bake in a short time while I cooked my veggies. This was the perfect ticket! I made my own buttermilk (skim+lemon juice) and used reduced fat cheddar. In a hurry, I made mine a bit larger and had 7 lovely biscuits. Thanks for sharing this one!