Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This dip or spread has a great fresh taste. Serve it right after making it for a softer dip. For a spread, refrigerate before serving. Please use a good quality cheese as a generic brand has extra oil added and will separate out.
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz pkg)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut-up cheese in 1-inch cubes and put in food processor bowl along with the mayo. Process 'til smooth.
- Add the onions and pepper sauce. Process another minute.
- Transfer cheese mixture to a small mixing bowl.
- Add chopped cilantro and combine well.
- If serving immediately as a dip, pile into a bowl and garnish with a cilantro sprig.
- For a firmer spread-like consistency, refrigerate at least two-hours.
- Serve with crackers and celery sticks.
Liked this - very easy, with store cupboard ingredients. Added chopped bacon, which it needed, as may have been too cloying otherwise. Used Tabasco sauce, not Worcestershire
Easy to assemble. I used the worcestershire sauce and found it did not complement the cilantro well. Perhaps this dip is better with the hot sauce option. When served on a buffet this became very greasy and you could not even taste the cheese. I used store generic cheese so perhaps that was my problem. If I were to make this again I would use Miracle Whip and a high quality cheese. Thanks for sharing Kathy, if it comes out better the next time I will up my rating.
I LOVED the flavor of this, but it had quite a large amount of oil/grease on it. I drained it and it appeared fine, but the amount kind of bothered me. Maybe cause I used a no-name cheese, but still kinda icky looking. I will be making this again (goes great with pretzel sticks) but would love to fond out about the grease. Also, using reg cheese it took me about 20 mins to process the cheese to count as spreadable/dipable. Did I do something wrong?