Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe from Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa from the Food Network. I watched the show and had to save this recipe for safekeeping as it looks like the perfect accompaniment to soup, salad, meat or poultry dishes. It is less harsh than her jalepeno version. It looks great. It was on her Potluck episode in which she makes this and takes it to a friend. Prep time includes letting it sit at room temp per her instructions. Yum. Enjoy. ChefDLH
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 8 ounces aged extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup minced fresh dill
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix!
- Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the dill, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is the absolute best ever! I used a teaspoon of dried dill. I will never use any other cornbread recipe again.