Recipe by MailbagMary
This recipe comes from a set of recipe cards from 1973. There are similar recipes on here, but I think this one is the best of all of them! The batter is extremely thick. You might think you've done something wrong, but you probably haven't.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut in 4 parts
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9X5X3" loaf pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt into large bowl.
- With 2 knives or pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Note: I use my food processer for this step to save time.
- Stir in cheese, onion, and dill weed; mix well.
- Combine milk and beaten egg; pour into flour mixture all at once.
- Stir quickly with fork just to moisten flour mixture.
- Turn into prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve cool, or toasted, which is our favorite way to enjoy this bread.