1 hr 10 mins
This recipe comes from a set of recipe cards from 1973. There are similar recipes on here, but I think this one is the best of all of them! The batter is extremely thick. You might think you've done something wrong, but you probably haven't.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9X5X3" loaf pan.
- 2Sift flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt into large bowl.
- 3With 2 knives or pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Note: I use my food processer for this step to save time.
- 4Stir in cheese, onion, and dill weed; mix well.
- 5Combine milk and beaten egg; pour into flour mixture all at once.
- 6Stir quickly with fork just to moisten flour mixture.
- 7Turn into prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- 8Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
- 9Serve cool, or toasted, which is our favorite way to enjoy this bread.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Dill Bread-Brethren's
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.0
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.3 mg
- Sodium 527.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.1 g