Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This bread goes great with soup! You can't just eat one slice!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in cheese and dill.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moist.
- (Batter will be very thick) Pour into a greased 8X4X2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until done.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Made this bread last night to go with supper -- it was very quick & easy to put together, even on a weeknight after a full days' work. I had a little over 1 cup of 2% shredded sharp cheddar so I used all of it (more cheese is always good!). However, I was hesitant to use the full 1 1/2 tsp of dill weed thinking it would be too strong, but now I wish I had because the dill flavor didn't come through as much as I expected. All in all, this is a very good recipe, and I will make it again using the full amount of dill weed next time. I also think it would be good to vary the cheese to your liking, or even use an assortment of different cheeses. Thanks Kim D! -M =)
I used 2 teaspoons of dill and reduced fat sharp chedder cheese. Very good!
Very easy recipe. I might add more dill next time, as I was hoping for more of a dill taste. The texture is very nice, almost as if cornmeal is in it.