Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 ounces dates, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the dates and butter in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the date mixture, egg, cheddar and nuts.
- Mix until just blended and spoon the mixture into a well greased 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack and cool before slicing.
- NOTE: The flavor improves if the bread stands overnight before serving.