Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooking apples (Use a cooking apple such as Granny Smith's. Core, peel and thinly)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, Fresh
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, Md, Shredded,1 1/2 C
- 4 teaspoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, Ground
- Make a high rim around the pie crust.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the topping and cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Toss the apples and lemon juice together and add the cheese, flour, and nutmeg, tossing and mixing well.
- Arrange the apples in the crust and sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream if desired.
What a wonderful recipe!! I just baked this pie and had two slices (as did Allan) so half the pie is gone already! I used sharp cheddar (white) and cut it down a little because of that. I also used a light sprinkle of allspice as I didn't have the nutmeg. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe; I'll make another soon to store in the freezer (probably 2 as Thanksgiving is coming, one for me, one for my father's)!
Yummy apple pie, I used a bought graham crust shell because it was what I had in, it worked beautifully, we loved the cheese in with the apple, wonderful flavour I used sharp old. Also used a mix of apples I happened to have on hand. It was a great dessert for our Easter dinner with whipped cream on top. Loved the crunch of the top and saved some of the cheese to add to it too. I will be making this one again, thanks for posting.
Wow, this is a delicious recipe and very easy to make. I normally do not like overly sweet desserts and this pie was just perfect. The cheddar cheese blended perfectly with the apples and the topping gave just enough sweetness and crunch. Thank you for posting this Barefoot Beachcomber.