Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Cheddar Crown Loaf recipe using the KitchenAid Mixer.
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 6 1⁄2-7 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1/4 pound)
- melted butter or margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Combine milk, water and 3 tablespoons margarine in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120F to 130F degrees). Margarine does not need to melt.
- Place 6 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast in bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. At speed 2, gradually add cheese then warm liquid mixture, about 30 seconds. Continue to mix at speed 2 until dough clings to hook, and starts to clean bowl, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Continue on speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time until dough loses stickiness clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead a little bit longer on speed 2 until dough is smooth and elastic. Stop kneading.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover: let rise in warm place free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough into 32 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Arrange 16 balls in a well-greased 10-inch tube pan. Brush with melted margarine and sprinkle with half of the caraway seed. Arrange remaining balls of dough on top. Brush with melted margarine and sprinkle with remaining caraway seed. Cover: let rise in warm place, free from draft, until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Best served warm.
This is one of my favorite foods. My mom used to make this with all kinds of "stoups" during the winter. I'm wicked excited to have found it!!!!