Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is a great bread. A Fleischmann's Yeast recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package fleischmann fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup margarine or 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse ground or freshly cracked pepper
- margarine or butter, softened
- Mix 1 cup flour, the yeast (dry) and salt.
- Heat margarine, water and milk until very warm (125 to 130ºF).
- Add to flour mixture; beat on low speed until moistened, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour.
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in cheese, pepper and remaining flour until smooth.
- Scrape batter from side of bowl.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Generously grease 2-quart casserole or loaf pan, 9 × 5 × 3 inches.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes.
- Spread evenly in casserole.
- Cover; let rise 30 to 45 minutes or until double.
- Heat oven to 375º.
- Place loaf on low rack so that top of casserole is in center of oven.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaf is brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Immediately remove from casserole to wire rack.
- Brush top of loaf with margarine.
- Serve warm or cool; cut into wedges with serrated knife.
- Garlic Casserole Bread: Omit Cheddar cheese and pepper.
- Stir in 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped, with final addition of flour.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese before baking.
- Herbed Casserole Bread: Omit Cheddar cheese and pepper.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil with final addition of flour.
- Taco Casserole Bread: Omit Cheddar cheese and pepper.
- Substitute 1/2 cup cornmeal for 1/2 cup of final addition of flour.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded hot pepper cheese (4 ounces) and 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped green chilies, very well drained, with final addition of flour.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with cornmeal before baking.
This is a good recipe. I did have a problem though but I know it was me, cause I have not worked with yeast that much. So I know practice will make it prefect and I will differently try this recipe again. Thank you for sharing this with us all!