Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great souffle for an elegant meal. The sharp cheddar cheese stretches the flavor of crabmeat, yet contributes rich flavor on its own.
- 170.09 g package frozen crabmeat
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml chopped green onion
- 29.58 ml butter
- 73.94 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- Thaw crabmeat, save juices. Blend with cheese. Set aside.
- Saute green onions in butter until soft but not browned.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add half-and-half. Cook, stirring, over moderate heat until mixture thickens. Add cayenne and juices.
- Stir in the egg yolks. Blend in crabmeat and cheese.
- Whip egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue whipping until whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold a portion of the whites into the sauce to lighten it. Foild entire amount of whites into the sauce carefully.
- Pour into a buttered 2-quart souffle dish. Bake at 375 degrees fro 45 minute.
- Good served with marinated broccoli salad, hot rolls or french bread.
Just fabulous! What an elegant dish. I made it for just the two of us, to experiment (never having made a real souffle' before) and now I can't wait to make it again for company, to "show off"! Only change: I used Jarlsberg cheese instead of Cheddar, because that's what I had on hand. Thanks, Mrs. Ayon!