Recipe by Ms. Ayon's dishes
A great souffle for an elegant meal. The sharp cheddar cheese stretches the flavor of crabmeat, yet contributes rich flavor on its own.
Top Review by La Dilettante
Just fabulous! What an elegant dish. I made it for just the two of us, to experiment (never having made a real souffle' before) and now I can't wait to make it again for company, to "show off"! Only change: I used Jarlsberg cheese instead of Cheddar, because that's what I had on hand. Thanks, Mrs. Ayon!
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen crabmeat
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw crabmeat, save juices. Blend with cheese. Set aside.
- Saute green onions in butter until soft but not browned.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add half-and-half. Cook, stirring, over moderate heat until mixture thickens. Add cayenne and juices.
- Stir in the egg yolks. Blend in crabmeat and cheese.
- Whip egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue whipping until whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold a portion of the whites into the sauce to lighten it. Foild entire amount of whites into the sauce carefully.
- Pour into a buttered 2-quart souffle dish. Bake at 375 degrees fro 45 minute.
- Good served with marinated broccoli salad, hot rolls or french bread.