Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy cheddar cornmeal muffins that go great with just about everything, particularly southern style dishes. Very easy to make and worth it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Blend flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Beat egg with milk and butter.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Stir until thoroughly moistened.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and spoon into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of cheese over each muffin.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter or freeze and reheat right before serving.
I honestly though these were abit dry, but the kids scarfed them down, which is all that matters as a mom to picky kids!!!
I think a tablespoon of baking powder is too much. Mine came out tasting soapy. Not sure if I would try these again but if I did I might halve the baking powder.
Loved these! Don't know why others thought they were dry, although I guess I didn't really measure the cheese and just kind of grated into the bowl until it looked like there was enough :) They're a beautiful compliment to the potato soup I made! Thanks for posting!