Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from a Milk callendar. It is moist, flavourful, attractive, and incredibly easy to make. Perfect as an accompaniament to chilli.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons mild green chilies, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk, oil, and chillies until just combined.
- Grease a large ring mould and dust it with cornmeal. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
What a pretty presentation of a tasty recipe! I made two of these to serve with chili - one as written and the other without the green chilies (due to a picky eater). Both were great! I used bundt pans and they came out into pretty rings without sticking or breaking. This cornbread had just a hint of sweetness, rose nicely and had a great texture. The family really enjoyed the cheese in it too. Thanks Lumberjackie.