I found this recipe in a cookbook called. Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. Makes 12 muffins. "These are light and moist, with a mild but irresistible cheese accent. They are equally good served for breakfast or with chili. If you want a more traditional corn muffin, just leave out the cheese."
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the insides and the top of a regular muffin pan (1/3 cup).
- In large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Beat in the milk and the melted butter.
- Combine with the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Immediately spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the muffins.
- Bake 17 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Best served warm.