Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
I found this recipe in a cookbook called. Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. Makes 12 muffins. "These are light and moist, with a mild but irresistible cheese accent. They are equally good served for breakfast or with chili. If you want a more traditional corn muffin, just leave out the cheese."
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the insides and the top of a regular muffin pan (1/3 cup).
- In large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Beat in the milk and the melted butter.
- Combine with the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Immediately spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the muffins.
- Bake 17 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Best served warm.
perfect cornmeal muffins. I used soft whole wheat flour instead of the unbleached flour. Also used soymilk- I added about 1/4 cup extra. Decreased the sugar (I used organic cane sugar). These were so tasty and moist with just the right amount of sweetness and the cheddar was the perfect touch.
So im going to make this now. BUTTTTT if it has cheese in it...it wont qualify for a vegetarian dish.
I made these for Fall PAC 2011. They had good flavor, but mine came out really dry so I'm only giving them four stars. Probably my fault, I'm really not a baker. I did follow the recipe and let them cook for 17 minutes but they came out a little dark. Next time I'll try pulling them out a little sooner. Thanks AustinMama!