Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
I found this recipe in a cookbook called. Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. Makes 12 muffins. "These are light and moist, with a mild but irresistible cheese accent. They are equally good served for breakfast or with chili. If you want a more traditional corn muffin, just leave out the cheese."
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the insides and the top of a regular muffin pan (1/3 cup).
- In large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Beat in the milk and the melted butter.
- Combine with the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Immediately spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the muffins.
- Bake 17 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Best served warm.
perfect cornmeal muffins. I used soft whole wheat flour instead of the unbleached flour. Also used soymilk- I added about 1/4 cup extra. Decreased the sugar (I used organic cane sugar). These were so tasty and moist with just the right amount of sweetness and the cheddar was the perfect touch.
I made these for Fall PAC 2011. They had good flavor, but mine came out really dry so I'm only giving them four stars. Probably my fault, I'm really not a baker. I did follow the recipe and let them cook for 17 minutes but they came out a little dark. Next time I'll try pulling them out a little sooner. Thanks AustinMama!
Great corn muffins. These have a nice texture with a slight sweetness. Made for PAC Spring 2008.