Recipe by AustinMama
I found this recipe in a cookbook called. Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. Makes 12 muffins. "These are light and moist, with a mild but irresistible cheese accent. They are equally good served for breakfast or with chili. If you want a more traditional corn muffin, just leave out the cheese."
Top Review by pearlb
perfect cornmeal muffins. I used soft whole wheat flour instead of the unbleached flour. Also used soymilk- I added about 1/4 cup extra. Decreased the sugar (I used organic cane sugar). These were so tasty and moist with just the right amount of sweetness and the cheddar was the perfect touch.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (I like to use coarser polenta)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the insides and the top of a regular muffin pan (1/3 cup).
- In large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Beat in the milk and the melted butter.
- Combine with the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Immediately spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the muffins.
- Bake 17 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Best served warm.