Recipe by ozzygirl
I got this recipe from the Lifestyle Cooking Channel in Australia - and made it on a regular basis throughout winter. You can tweak a bit to suit your tastes. I add some vegetable stock to it when it needs thinning out a bit and I also add some basil and mixed herbs, but that is my personal taste. It is a rich soup, very filling and moreish.
- 8 slices bacon (Chopped)
- 2 large onions (Peeled And Chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (Chopped)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 ears corn (Kernels Removed Or 4 Cups Of Frozen Corn)
- 1 bunch parsley (Chopped)
- salt & pepper (To Taste)
- vegetable stock (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a soup pot over medium-high heat until it is crisp and brown.
- Drain away about half of the fat in the pot then stir in the onions and celery. Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add the milk and cream and heat through.
- Sprinkle in the cornmeal and stir well until the soup thickens slightly, about ten minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir through until melted.
- Add the corn and continue cooking just long enough to heat it through. Taste then season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.