Recipe by lazyme
This is another recipe from Aces, from the Best of Bridge series. It's quick, simple and tastes really good. You can also substitute canned corn for the frozen. ZWT Mid-West region (corn).
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
This is almost identical to the corn and cheese chowder I make from the Vegetarian Epicure (except for the chicken stock and bacon). I usually add more potatoes - it is fabulous - one of my son's favorite foods. I would have posted it myself if this wasn't here already!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups light cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 -4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter. Add onion, potato, bay leaf, cumin and sage. Cook stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour and then whisk in stock and cream. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add corn, parsley, onions, nutmeg, and wine. Simmer for another 5 minutes until heated through. Remove bay leaf. Stir in cheese and heat until melted (DO NOT BOIL). Garnish with bacon bits.