A hearty cheesy chowder to warm up even the coldest nights.
Make and share this Cheddar Chowder With Red Pepper recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped
- 1 large boiling potato
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 3 cups water
- Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Cook potato, onion, bell pepper, broccoli stems, and garlic in butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cumin, salt, pepper, and mustard and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add water and simmer (partially covered), stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in cream and cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Puree about 2 cups of chowder in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
This is a winderful soup. Thick, cheesy and lots of flavor. I had lots of red bell pepper leftover from a veggie tray. I didn't have quite a full head of broccoli, but I used what I had left. I'll definitely make this again. Thanx!