Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to make and a nice change from your standard soups. This is great served with a loaf of crusty bread or tortilla chips! A flavorful choice!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 baking potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion until soft.
- Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stock; bring to boil.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the kidney beans.
- Transfer to blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of the cheese, remaining kidney beans, milk, corn, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Garnish with green onion and rest of cheese.