1/1 Photo of Cheddar Chili Pillows
* Pamela *'s Note:
Entry in RSC #9
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 (19 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (450 g) package puff pastry sheets
- 1Cook onions in oil until onions are transparent and then add garlic.
- 2Add ground beef and scramble fry until meat is cooked through.
- 3Drain tomatoes completely and then roughly chop whole tomatoes with kitchen scissors right in the can and then add to ground beef.
- 4Add lentils, water, vinegar, and spices.
- 5Turn heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- 6Add tomato sauce and remove from heat.
- 7Stir in cheddar cheese and set aside.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9Roll out puff pastry and slice in to four strips and then cut each into four pieces to make 16 pieces.
- 10Add 1-2 tablespoons of meat/lentil mixture to the middle of 8.
- 12Top with remaining squares and seal edges by crimping with the tines of a fork to create the "pillow".
- 13Poke fork into the top of each pillow twice and place onto a greased baking sheet.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
- 16Serve warm.
- 17These pillows can be made ahead and frozen. To reheat, place frozen on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Chili Pillows
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 149.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 8.5 g