Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From my collection of old recipes.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- To make crust: In large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, and 1/4 teaspoons salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and the water. Press firmly to bottom and sides of 9" pie plate; prick with fork. Bake in preheated 400* oven for 10 minutes. Cool on rack.
- To make filling: cook beef and onion in large skillet over medium heat, breaking up meat with fork, 10 minutes or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add tomatoes, beans, chili powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper; simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Turn into pie shell. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake in 350* oven 20-30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly.
This is a great recipe. I didn't have any beans, so they were not added and I did add a little garlic powder. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. YUMMY!! Almost like a Frito Pie without the Fritos just the flavor! This will be made again, Thank you CJAY for the recipe.