Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
A cheesy twist on homemade chicken potpie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- For crust, combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.Cut butter into flour until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add the water, mixing gently with a fork. Gather into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, heat broth to a boil in a dutch oven or large saucepan. Add vegetables; simmer 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Blend flour with milk; stir into the broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese, chicken, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese melts.
- Spoon into a 10-in (2-1/2-3 qt)casserole dish. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured board, roll crust to fit top of casserole, trimming edges as necessary. Place in casserole over filling;seal edges. Make several slits in center of crust for steam to escape. Bake 425 for 40 minutes or until golden.
This stuff is SOOOOOOO good!!! I will never mnake regular old chicken pot pie again. But I am sure I will be making this for a long time to come!