Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is from Cooking Light.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 2 1⁄4 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Set aside.
- Add the chicken, onion, bell pepper and garlic to the drippings in the pan; saute for 5 minutes. Add broth and potato and bring to a boil. Cover and reduct heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Add corn; stir well.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to the soup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.
I made this tonight as is with the exception of adding another clove of garlic, but after tasting it thought it was a bit bland for our tastes. After adding about a teaspon of dill and a few hearty sprinkles of season salt though it was out of this world!! Thank you for posting!
Awesome! I used a few more slices of bacon & used meat from a roasted chicken (pre-cooked) so added it in with the potatoes and broth step. Lots of flavor, nice colors. Make sure to add some chopped green onion, too. Also used only 4 cups (1 carton) of broth. It was fine.
This is delicious! I made the recipe exactly as written and our entire family gobbled it up! Thanks for sharing.