I've grown to accept macaroni and cheese has alot of variety, and I like mine in various ways. Here is a basic recipe for it not using the velveeta so many others do. I also never understood the addition of eggs to mac & cheese. You won't find any of those in here also. Very simple and good if you just want a recipe to base your creation on.
- Cook your pasta until a little under cooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, dutch oven melt butter over medium heat.
- When melted add all flour and mix very well. Stir roux for a few minutes to cook off flour taste.
- Add all milk at once and stir continually. Add salt and pepper.
- When mixture has thickened start adding cheese while continuing to stir.
- After all cheese has been added, add mustard. Check for seasoning. Adjust as necessary.
- Add macaroni to cheese sauce and stir well to incorperate.
- Place mixture into prepared 13x9 in" glass casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until slightly brown and bubbling.