Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An unexpected zing in this appetizer. Easy to prepare and beautiful to serve. Taken from the "From Storebought to Homemade" cookbook. Note: cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 1 (16 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- Combine all the ingredients except the strawberry preserves.
- Mix well and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- shape the mixture into a ball, or put it in an attractive serving dish.
- Another serving option is to press the dip into a lightly greased ring mold.
- If served as a cheese ball or spread, surround it with the strawberry preserves or put the preserves on the side.
- If served as a mold, fill the center with the preserves.
- Serve with crackers. Melba rounds or Triscuits are good choices for this dip.
Wonderful!!! I did adjust the recipe a little according to what I had on hand - I used light mild cheddar cheese instead of sharp, almonds instead of pecans, and I added some fresh mint. I also only had half the mayo and I found that was plenty. I served on rice cakes over some rosehip jam. Flavours complimented each other so well the way I made it, I image the original recipe must be absolutely divine! Thanks for sharing it :)
Outstanding! The contrast between the sharp cheddar with onions and the strawberry preserves was fantastic and unexpected. Since there were only two of us I simply spread the cheese on the Wheatstone crackers then drizzled with the preserves and topped with a pinch of chopped pecans. Very very good and I'm so happy that we have a lot of the cheese spread left - we will finish it off this weekend! Thank you jonesies!
Just ONE Word! "Delicious"! Thanks for such a great recipe