Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A hearty Vermont dish from Cabot Cheese.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot, add cabbage, onions, celery, peas and carrots and saute 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk, corn, pepper and thyme, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
Now this is the winner! Any recipe calling for Cabot Cheese, I will try. Love that cheese. My husband loves cabbage in soups so I prepared the chowed when he was fishing and would not know what I was cooking. I used packaged cole slaw mix and cut the milk down to half milk and half heavy cream. He was so impressed. Thanks Lorac.