carrie sheridan's Note:
this can be very good with grated apple on the side
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and light green part only
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups prepared broth
- 12 ounces bass ale or 12 ounces newcastle ale
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Clean the leek and slice thinly.
- 2In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 3Add the leek, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Stir in the flour and mustard until incorporated and cook for about 1 minute.
- 5Add the stock and ale and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- 6Redice the heat to medium an dcook, whisking to break up any lumps of flour, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the cheeses and whisk constantly until nicely melted, 3-5 minutes longer. Do not let boil.
- 8Stir in the cayenne and Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 9Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve immediately, garnished with additional cheese or garlic toasts.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese Soup With Ale
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.7
- Calories from Fat 421
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.4 g
- Cholesterol 133.0 mg
- Sodium 834.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 25.4 g