Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this can be very good with grated apple on the side
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Soup With Ale recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and light green part only
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups prepared broth
- 12 ounces bass ale or 12 ounces newcastle ale
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Clean the leek and slice thinly.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the leek, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the flour and mustard until incorporated and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the stock and ale and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Redice the heat to medium an dcook, whisking to break up any lumps of flour, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and whisk constantly until nicely melted, 3-5 minutes longer. Do not let boil.
- Stir in the cayenne and Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve immediately, garnished with additional cheese or garlic toasts.