Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
this can be very good with grated apple on the side
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Soup With Ale recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and light green part only
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups prepared broth
- 12 ounces bass ale or 12 ounces newcastle ale
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Clean the leek and slice thinly.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the leek, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the flour and mustard until incorporated and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the stock and ale and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Redice the heat to medium an dcook, whisking to break up any lumps of flour, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and whisk constantly until nicely melted, 3-5 minutes longer. Do not let boil.
- Stir in the cayenne and Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve immediately, garnished with additional cheese or garlic toasts.