Recipe by peachez
Here in LA we aren't known for cold days or nights but this fits the nice warm comfort food feeling nicely. For me, the sharper the cheese the better.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- splashes hot sauce (I use Frank's) (optional)
- seasoned croutons (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- On a piece of waxed paper toss cheese with 1 Tablespoon flour- set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter; add the celery, bell pepper and onion.
- Cook and stir over medium low heat till tender- about 5 minutes.
- Stir into pan remaining 3 Tablespoons flour.
- Add milk and broth to pan.
- Cook and stir until boiling; boil and stir 1 minute longer, reduce heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, black pepper and reserved cheese/ flour mixture.
- Cook until cheese melts and soup is hot, 1- 2 minutes.
- Serve and top with any options.