1 hr 10 mins
Mary Leverington's Note:
Very rich and very satisfying. Use the grainy dark mustard for an interesting taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon prepared dark German mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut diagonally into chunks
- 2 large potatoes, pared and sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1Saute onion and celery in butter in large soup kettle for 3 minutes or until soft.
- 2Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir with a wire whisk.
- 3Add mustard and the Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- 4Stir in broth, carrots, and potatoes.
- 5Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low.
- 6Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- 7Add milk and heat through.
- 8Do not boil.
- 9Add cheese and stir until it's completely melted.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.8
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 769.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: