Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very rich and very satisfying. Use the grainy dark mustard for an interesting taste.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon prepared dark German mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut diagonally into chunks
- 2 large potatoes, pared and sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion and celery in butter in large soup kettle for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir with a wire whisk.
- Add mustard and the Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Stir in broth, carrots, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add milk and heat through.
- Do not boil.
- Add cheese and stir until it's completely melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.
sounds wonderful...can't wait to try it!! I've added to my cookbook collection. Sandi Cornell