Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a magazine many years ago, not sure which one. This is very good.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 large potatoes, pared and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (12 oz)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch slices (optional)
- Saute onion and celery in butter in kettle 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour, mustard and Worchestershire sauce. Cook, stirring 2 minutes or until vegetables are evenly coated and mixture is bubbly.
- Stir in broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to boiling. Lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk cook over medium heat until almost boiling, do not boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in cheese until melted.
- Add pepper and salt, if you wish. Ladle into soup tureen or heated soup bowls. Garnish with extra cheese, if you wish.
- Optional Meat: Add sausage in when you add potatoes if you wish.