Recipe by evelyn/athens
A creamy soup that can be made with sharp or mild cheddar, depending on your preference.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Awesome cheese soup! It's pretty easy and inexpensive to make, too. I opted for sharp cheddar and I thought it was perfect. I used fat free half and half but it was still rich in texture. I served this to my kiddos with goldfish crackers and parsley on top. Thanx for a great cheese soup recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (about 10 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onions, celery and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; mix in flour, paprika and cayenne, and stir 3 minutes; gradually stir in broth; bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- strain; return to same saucepan; add half and half and bring to simmer over medium heat; add cheese, ½ cup at a time, stirring until cheese melts before next addition; mix in Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco and parsley; adjust seasonings to taste; season to taste with salt and pepper.