These are the best scones I have ever eaten! Terrific served with soup.
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Scones recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
- Pat out the dough into a 3/4-inch thick round.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.