Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are the best scones I have ever eaten! Terrific served with soup.
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Scones recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
- Pat out the dough into a 3/4-inch thick round.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Irmgard, I must say you know your scones! These beauties are soooo yummy with a nice sweet savoury taste! The preparation was super easy and quick. The scones baked up beautifully in the stated time and made for a great breakkie! The only thing I did differently was to use spelt flour and a little less butter and milk than called for. I liked the play of salty and sweet, but if I was looking for a really hearty breakkie Id reduce the sugar by half to make the cheese come through even more. I made half the recipe ending up with 6 nice medium sized scones and 1 small. They were devoured! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your recipe with us! Made and reviewed for Farm Cooking with Andi of Longmeadow Farm An Event in The Photo Forum May 2010.
Easy recipe! Took to a friends house to enjoy with soup - perfect accompaniment. Everyone enjoyed them.
Followed your recipe right on down & even included the full measure of cayenne pepper, which I don't usually do, & these are definitely great tasting scones ~ Loved the sharp cheddar & the buttermilk! Thanks for this great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend tag]