That Napa Chicken Ranch's Note:
A tasty pie crust that is super easy to make and work with and adds some hard to come by natural calcium to the dinner plate. It can be made with all or just part whole wheat flour depending on your tastes. The recipe also works really well if you don't add any cheese, making this the most flexible pie crust I have ever worked with!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In your mixing bowl of your electric mixer, combine the flour, cheese and salt. Mix briefly to combine (or use a whisk).
- 2Add the butter and oil, then mix until the mixture is about the size of peas. You can also use a pastry blender for this task).
- 3Slowly add in the water and mix until the dough just starts coming together. Too much water will make the crust tough. When you squeeze the dough together with your hands it should stick together in a ball.
- 4Separate the dough into 2 mounds and press into flat disks. You can mold the edges with your fingers until they are fairly smooth. Let them rest on the counter for at least 10 minutes for the flour to absorb all the moisture.
- 5Roll the dough out to a size just large enough to fill your pie pan and come over the edge a little. If the dough tears, just mend it like you would play dough, it will be fine. Set the dough into the pie pan gently without stretching the dough, and press into shape.
- 6Roll out the second disk to a size that will cover the top of the pie.
- 7Add your filling and cover with the dough. Pinch the two dough layers together with your fingers and flute the edges if you want it to look fancy.
- 8Here is a step by step tutorial on pie crusts that you may find helpful if you are new to this craft:.
- 10Bake the pie according to your recipes instructions and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese Savory Pie Dough- Electric Mixer Version (Top And
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.1
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 279.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g