Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Use this whenever you need a cheese sauce! You can cut the recipe in half if desired.
Top Review by divinefamily7
This sauce is easy and Good! I made it for scalloped potatoes and will definitely make it again. I did not have half and half so I just used milk, of course it was still great.
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese (preferably old cheddar for a stronger taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream and whisk until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the yolks and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Cover the top of the sauce with buttered wax paper.
- Heat again before serving or refrigerate.