Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Use this whenever you need a cheese sauce! You can cut the recipe in half if desired.
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese (preferably old cheddar for a stronger taste)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream and whisk until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the yolks and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Cover the top of the sauce with buttered wax paper.
- Heat again before serving or refrigerate.
Oh Kittencal, thank you for sharing yet another wonderful recipe! I made this for our cajun mac and it was the bomb. This recipe is fairly easy and my husband requested that it be put in our "keeper" file.
This stuff is the shiz. Made it last night, BRILLIANT!!!!
I made this for our dinner last night to serve with steamed broccoli. It was fantastic! It is almost identical to the way I normally make cheese sauce, but I never thought to put egg yolks into it. I think that is what made it so velvety. I shall do that from now on when I make cheese sauce. Thank you for posting your recipe. (Made for "Name That Ingredient" tag).