Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Use this whenever you need a cheese sauce! You can cut the recipe in half if desired.
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream and whisk until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the yolks and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Cover the top of the sauce with buttered wax paper.
- Heat again before serving or refrigerate.
I made this for our dinner last night to serve with steamed broccoli. It was fantastic! It is almost identical to the way I normally make cheese sauce, but I never thought to put egg yolks into it. I think that is what made it so velvety. I shall do that from now on when I make cheese sauce. Thank you for posting your recipe. (Made for "Name That Ingredient" tag).
Worked great! I used it as the cheese sauce for homemade tuna helper.
What a great recipe!!! Very versitile. We used this sauce to top chimichangas. It was excellent. I left out the nutmeg and I added a can of rotel. I cooked it just a little thicker so that I could add the juice from the can of rotel and it still be the right consistency. My husband used the leftover sauce like queso dip. He said it was much better than a velvetta based recipe. It has to be better for you than the processed velvetta! It reheated very well in the microwave. I just reheated it slowly, in 30 second intervals and stirred it in between.