Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
For breakfast or lunch (contains beer, but alcohol should cook away). Can also be served over English muffins in place of toast. I'm totally guessing with respect to cooking time.
- 2 eggs, beaten slightly
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices toast
- In a small bowl, beat eggs slightly, then stir in beer to combine.
- In top of a double boiler over direct heat, melt butter, then add cheese and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
- Get water boiling in the base of the double boiler and--when cheese is melted--place the top holding the melted cheese mixture over it; add dry mustard through worcestershire sauce.
- Stir the egg-beer mixture into the cheese mixture and cook, stirring often, until thick.
- Pour over toast (2 slices per serving).
This didn't turn out right, so I didn't take a photo or am going to rate it in stars, as I think there might be a mistake in the ingredients. After making it, I decided to look up Rarebit and found that the recipes I looked at, all included flour with the butter and seasonings then you added milk and beer to make a sauce, then added the cheddar cheese to the double boiler. Mine turned out as a glob of cheese, egg and beer mixture and I am not sure if that is the actual recipe or one missing ingredients. Thanks for sharing the recipe and sorry it didn't work out for me. Made for Newest Tag Game.