Top Review by Sydney Mike
Very nice tasting bread, especially with the cheddar cheese AND the coarse salt on top! Great with a meal or as a snack all on its own! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed as a thank you when this chef participated in Help a Camera-less Chef Game #5]
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups flour (4 to 4 1/2 cups enough to make a soft dough)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 pkg)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet cook onion in butter til tender but not brown, 7 minutes. Cool.
- Mix together warm water yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, set aside to proof, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processer mix together flour, cooled onion, egg, cheese italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add yeast and water mixture. Mix until forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, knead 6-8 minutes.
- Shape into ball place in lightly greased bowl turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch down Turn out onto lightly floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes. This step is important. It makes the rope easier to work with.
- Lightly grease Baking sheet. Roll dough into a 48 inch long rope.
- On the baking sheet form the rope into a large pretzel shape by crossing one end over the other to form a circle, overlapping about 12 inches from each end.
- Take one end in each hand and twist once at the point where the dough overlaps.
- Lift each end across to the edge of the circle opposite.
- Moisten the ends and tuck underneath. press to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes.
- Stir together egg white and 1 tbsp water, brush onto bread sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in 375 oven for 20 minutes, then loosely cover with foil and continue baking another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven cool on wire rack.
- I serve this bread with a packaged cheese sauce, for dipping or spreading.