Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
These quick breads are great for brunches and soups or salads.
Make and share this Cheddar Cheese Popovers recipe from Food.com.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Generously butter 6 cups in a popover pan or 6 six ounce custard cups.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well with mixer.
- At low speed add milk.
- Add flour and salt and beat until smooth.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Fill cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Top with cheese and pour in remaining batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until puffed and deep golden brown.
- Let pans cool 1 minute and then loosen with a knife.
- Serve with hot with butter and fresh fruit.
This was a GREAT recipe, thank you very much for sharing. I love popovers, and this is the only recipe I've found that allows the addition of cheese and then actually "pops over". I added about 1/2 tsp melted butter to each of my 6 non-stick popover cups, and I used about 1 tsp of smoked cheddar in each. They were delicious! Tip - promptly remove the popovers from the pan after baking, to avoid moisture building up in the pan, causing your popovers to get soggy - then poke a hole in each one to release the steam. The popovers will be crisp on the outside and moist (but not wet) on the inside. Perfection!
The kids loved the cheesy popovers!!! I used a regular cupcake/muffin pan for smaller sized popovers and baked for 30 mins, but still they came out a good size. Served with pasta! Will make again and again!
Impressive, yummy treats! I would've never guessed how easy these are to make and yet look so elegant. I took some shortcuts and also skinnied mine up some, and they still turned out luscious. First, I used my blender to mix the ingredients, and baked them in my jumbo muffin pan since I don't have a popover pan. I used skim milk, Smart Balance Light margarine and reduced fat cheddar cheese. Put these on your table and watch your guests' jaws drop! Thanks Smurfetta!