Recipe by Aroostook
A great winter soup! Serve with a pan of hot biscuits or onion scones.
Top Review by *~*Jennifer*~*
Great soup for a cold and rainy fall day. I made the soup as directed using 3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. The thing I liked most about this recipe is that it makes a nicely textured soup. In the past, I've found most cheese soup recipes to be too runny. I used 2 medium size carrots and celery stalks and will use one or two more of each the next time. Thanks, Aroostook!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup cooked ham
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Brown carrots, celery, onion, ham and mushrooms over high heat.
- Turn heat to medium and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle in flour, paprika,dry mustard.
- Stir over low heat about 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk.
- Stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese and whisk until melted.
- Do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top w/ parsley.