Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great winter soup! Serve with a pan of hot biscuits or onion scones.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup cooked ham
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Brown carrots, celery, onion, ham and mushrooms over high heat.
- Turn heat to medium and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle in flour, paprika,dry mustard.
- Stir over low heat about 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk.
- Stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese and whisk until melted.
- Do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top w/ parsley.
Great soup for a cold and rainy fall day. I made the soup as directed using 3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. The thing I liked most about this recipe is that it makes a nicely textured soup. In the past, I've found most cheese soup recipes to be too runny. I used 2 medium size carrots and celery stalks and will use one or two more of each the next time. Thanks, Aroostook!
Solid base recipe and easy to make. Everything is pretty well done in this recipe. Tastes great!
The soup itself was great, but the directions were a little ambiguous. I didn't know what heat to use for the thickening period--I kept turning it up because it wasn't getting thicker, but it said not to boil it, so finally after nearly 30 minutes, I decided the thinner consistency would have to do. Although it ended taking me much longer than the stated time, it did turn out delicious!