Recipe by Manami
Southern and Southwestern ingredients unite in this sustaining meal of beans, peppers and tomatoes over the best grits you will ever eat! If you don't have the quick-cooking variety, use regular and follow the ingredients on the pkg. F&W Magazine. We are always looking for different ways of serving black beans and this one sounds like a winner; we may have to cut down on the amout of heat!
Top Review by Darkhunter
Unbelievable! I have always disdained cheese grits, as I am an old southern girl who only ate them with butter and s&p. I have already suggested to 2 people to try this dish. Next time, though, I will use just a touch more pepper flakes for a little more heat. Thnx so much for posting, DiScharf!
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 6 scallions, including green tops sliced thin
- 2 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (one 19 oz can)
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk, 1 T butter, the Tabasco, paprika, 1 t salt and 1/8 t cayenne.
- Bring to a boil over moderately high heat.
- Add the grits in a slow stream, whisking.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the grits get very thick, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheese; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan, melt the remaining T of butter over moderate heat.
- Add the bell peppers and scallions and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, broth, 1/4 t cayenne, and the remaining 1/4 t salt.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frquently, until the beans are hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes.
- Serve over the cheese grits.
- Have a salad of greens, hot rustic bread just from the oven and a great wine.*.
- *WINE:"The robust and varied flavors in this dish want a big, spicy, and fruity red wine to match their intensity. Zinfandel see ms to have an affinity for black beans, and a sturdy example from the Napa Valley will suit these grits and beans well.".