1/2 Photos of Cheddar Cheese Crab Bake
Caryn Dalton's Note:
This recipe was altered by me and originated from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipe Book (I have every one of his books). He also has a website (check it out!). I was looking for a copycat recipe for R. Lobster's Cheddar Cheese biscuits and came upon this variation...which I personally like more than the biscuit recipe I was trying to locate. You can make biscuits with this, but I spread the mixture out to be more like a pizza and it saved me time and was more fun to eat. I think these would also make really neat appetizers if you used small spoons of the dough on the baking sheet...but you would have to adjust cooking time. I will be making this recipe over and over because it was so easy and tasted like I fussed all night! You will find my recipe long, but that's because my directions are thorough...the prep time/work time for this recipe is only 10 minutes...though that may be because I make it often!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup canned crabmeat, picked over and lightly drained
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for biscuit dough, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing on dough after baking
- 2/3 cup milk (can use 1%, 2% of full fat, but not skim)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, ground finely (crush with fingers)
- 1 3/4 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (not fat free)
- 2 cups Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix or 2 cups comparable baking mix
- 1Wash your hands well (you will be mixing dough with them).
- 2Preheat oven to 450.
- 3Spray pizza baking sheet or jelly roll/baking sheet with non stick spray in a 8 inch circle in center of sheet.
- 4Cut 2 TB of butter off of stick, then 1 TB off of stick.
- 5Melt 1 TB of butter in microwave for a few seconds (be careful when you take it out not to burn yourself).
- 6In a medium mixing bowl, combine Bisquick or baking mix, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, milk and 1TB of the melted butter.
- 7Mix with your hand until well combined.
- 8Dough will form a sticky thick glob and mixture should not be dry or crumbly at all- Scrape excess off of hand and pat into ball- Pick up dough ball and put it into center of your sprayed circle on your baking sheet- Add any dough from bowl that you can scrape up.
- 9Spread dough into a pizza shape about 8 inches in diameter, forming a lip around edge like a pizza- To do this, I just started from the center and kept mashing out towards the edges- The lip naturally formed for me this way- If your dough isn't round in shape, then shape it like you would playdough.
- 10Wash your hands and dry well.
- 11Take parsley flakes and, pinching them between your fingers make sure they are finely ground.
- 12After grinding them well, sprinkle them on top of your dough.
- 13Sprinkle the crabmeat on top of the parsley flakes.
- 14Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the crabmeat.
- 15Remember not to go all the way to the edge of your"pizza" with your cheese.
- 16Bake for approx 15 minutes on center rack or until the cheese browns slightly.
- 17While Bread is baking, melt the other 2 TB of Butter and combine with the garlic powder.
- 18When bread is finished, take out of oven and immediately brush entire surface with the melted butter/garlic powder.
- 19Put back in oven for 1 more minute.
- 20Take out of oven and slice into 8 pieces with pizza cutter and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese Crab Bake
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 212.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix