Recipe by Caryn Dalton
This recipe was altered by me and originated from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipe Book (I have every one of his books). He also has a website (check it out!). I was looking for a copycat recipe for R. Lobster's Cheddar Cheese biscuits and came upon this variation...which I personally like more than the biscuit recipe I was trying to locate. You can make biscuits with this, but I spread the mixture out to be more like a pizza and it saved me time and was more fun to eat. I think these would also make really neat appetizers if you used small spoons of the dough on the baking sheet...but you would have to adjust cooking time. I will be making this recipe over and over because it was so easy and tasted like I fussed all night! You will find my recipe long, but that's because my directions are thorough...the prep time/work time for this recipe is only 10 minutes...though that may be because I make it often!
Top Review by Brenda.
*Made for PAC Spring 2007* This was a really nice snack for my DH & DS while they watched the NFL Draft today. I like the taste of the baking mix, and made sure to brush the crust liberally with the garlic butter as well. I used full fat baking mix and skim milk and it turned out great. Thanks for another great recipe Caryn! Nick's Mom
- 1⁄3 cup canned crabmeat, picked over and lightly drained
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, for biscuit dough, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing on dough after baking
- 2⁄3 cup milk (can use 1%, 2% of full fat, but not skim)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley flakes, ground finely (crush with fingers)
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese (not fat free)
- 2 cups Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix or 2 cups comparable baking mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash your hands well (you will be mixing dough with them).
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Spray pizza baking sheet or jelly roll/baking sheet with non stick spray in a 8 inch circle in center of sheet.
- Cut 2 TB of butter off of stick, then 1 TB off of stick.
- Melt 1 TB of butter in microwave for a few seconds (be careful when you take it out not to burn yourself).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Bisquick or baking mix, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, milk and 1TB of the melted butter.
- Mix with your hand until well combined.
- Dough will form a sticky thick glob and mixture should not be dry or crumbly at all- Scrape excess off of hand and pat into ball- Pick up dough ball and put it into center of your sprayed circle on your baking sheet- Add any dough from bowl that you can scrape up.
- Spread dough into a pizza shape about 8 inches in diameter, forming a lip around edge like a pizza- To do this, I just started from the center and kept mashing out towards the edges- The lip naturally formed for me this way- If your dough isn't round in shape, then shape it like you would playdough.
- Wash your hands and dry well.
- Take parsley flakes and, pinching them between your fingers make sure they are finely ground.
- After grinding them well, sprinkle them on top of your dough.
- Sprinkle the crabmeat on top of the parsley flakes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the crabmeat.
- Remember not to go all the way to the edge of your"pizza" with your cheese.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes on center rack or until the cheese browns slightly.
- While Bread is baking, melt the other 2 TB of Butter and combine with the garlic powder.
- When bread is finished, take out of oven and immediately brush entire surface with the melted butter/garlic powder.
- Put back in oven for 1 more minute.
- Take out of oven and slice into 8 pieces with pizza cutter and serve hot.