Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are good straight out of the oven with butter.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (unbleached white, or a combo of the two)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon honey or 1 teaspoon other artificial sweetener
- Preheat oven to 450˚.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add cheese and chives.
- Toss to evenly distribute.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives. Mixture should resemble coarse meal.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk.
- Stir quickly and lightly with a fork until mixture just comes together, about 1/2 minute.
- Turn dough out onto a flat surface and very lightly knead until dough comes together (again, about 1/2 minute).
- If you need to add a sprinkling of flour to help with kneading, that's fine.
- Pat dough out to a thickness of approximately 3/4 inch.
- Cut biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter or sharp knife.
- Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.