Recipe by Bev
Top Review by Mirj
Oh, Bev, you really struck a chord here with me, I adore cheesey biscuits, and I adored these. Cheddar cheese isn't so strong in this country, so I used a mix of Cheddar and kashkaval, and it was delicious. I also cut them smaller, using a 1 inch round shot glass to cut the rounds. I dipped the whole round in the egg wash and dipped half in poppy seeds and half in sesame seeds. With a little dab of butter spread on them afterwards, these are cheesey heaven!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbs milk (for glaze)
- poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor and blend.
- Add butter and cut in, using pulse, until fine meal forms.
- Transfer to large bowl, mix in cheese.
- (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead, cover and chill).
- Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns.
- Pat out dough to 3/4" thickness.
- Using 3" biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Gather scraps, pat out to 3/4" thickness and cut additional biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush biscuits with egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Makes about 10 biscuits.