Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe comes from the Bobby Mcgee's Conglomeration restaurant that was in the north-Houston area in the early 1970s ( think dance floor with disco ball!!). Sadly, the restaurant is no longer there, tho I think it still exists in other areas,but the owner/chef was kind enough to give this recipe to a local church for use in their cookbook.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1⁄2 cups broth
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- chopped chives, to garnish
- lightly salted popped popcorn, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute carrots and onions in butter until tender.
- Add flour,spices, and sugar and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beer and chicken stock; whisk until smooth.
- Add grated cheese and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking until the cheese is melted.
- Whisk in half&half and milk.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with some chives and popcorn, if desired.