How could these NOT be good? From the Pat Conroy Cook Book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups self-rising flour (preferably White Lily)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped andouille sausages, sauteed until crisp, and drained
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place rack in middle of oven.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in the grated cheese (reserving 2 tablespoons for the topping) and black pepper. Add the butter pieces to the flour and cut it into the flour with two knives, or with your fingers, moving quickly before the butter gets soft. When mixture is the size of peas, pour in the buttermilk, add the sausage, and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dough is one piece.
- 3If the dough is overworked, the biscuits will be tough.
- 4Turn the dough onto a lightly floured, dry work surface. With a wooden rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle at least 1/2" thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut rounds of dough. Gently push the dough out of the biscuit cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 5If not baking immediately, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
- 6Sprinkle the biscuits with the reserved grated cheese and bake for 15-18 minutes, until the biscuits have risen and the tops are lightly browned. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese and Sausage Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (1011 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.0
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.8 mg
- Sodium 441.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: