Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a good side dish but can also be used as an entree with salad and garlic bread. The original recipe called for swiss cheese, but my family likes cheddar better, so it is now Cheddar Cheese and Mushroom pie. Using a food processor for the mushrooms and onions really cuts prep time.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (1 large)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 18 inches pastry crust, for bottom and top (I use frozen from grocery store)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium, heat.
- Add onion; cook 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and lemon juice.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain mushroom mixture.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine mushroom and cheese; mix well.
- Turn into pastry shell.
- Arrange pastry strips, lattice fashion on top of filling. (I use full top and cut design in it).
- Trim ends even with edges of shell.
- Moisten and fold overhang over strip ends.
- Flute edges.
- Beat egg yolk and water and brush over pastry.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Better to let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.