1 hr 5 mins
Linda Buermele's Note:
This is a good side dish but can also be used as an entree with salad and garlic bread. The original recipe called for swiss cheese, but my family likes cheddar better, so it is now Cheddar Cheese and Mushroom pie. Using a food processor for the mushrooms and onions really cuts prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (1 large)
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 18 inches pastry crust, for bottom and top (I use frozen from grocery store)
- 1Melt butter in large skillet over medium, heat.
- 2Add onion; cook 2 minutes.
- 3Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and lemon juice.
- 4Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Drain mushroom mixture.
- 6Heat oven to 375°F.
- 7Combine mushroom and cheese; mix well.
- 8Turn into pastry shell.
- 9Arrange pastry strips, lattice fashion on top of filling. (I use full top and cut design in it).
- 10Trim ends even with edges of shell.
- 11Moisten and fold overhang over strip ends.
- 12Flute edges.
- 13Beat egg yolk and water and brush over pastry.
- 14Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- 15Serve hot or cold.
- 16Better to let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar Cheese and Mushroom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.9
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.8 mg
- Sodium 740.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g