Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from the Cabot Cheese folks, this is a lightened up version of the delicious Cheddar Butternut Squash Soup. Russians use a lot of sour cream, so I have put this in my Russian cookbook!
- 907.18 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 236.59 ml light sour cream
- 118.29 ml light cheddar cheese, grated
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 14.79 ml brown sugar (optional)
- 2 stalk chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine squash and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until squash is vry tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand until warm, then puree in batches in the blender.
- Return the puree to the saucepan and place over medium low heat. Stir in the sour cream, cheddar, butter and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the soup until heated through. Don't allow it to boil. Now taste the soup, adding brown sugar if not sweet enough. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve. Enjoy!
Loved this soup, thanks for posting. I have tried several butternut squash soup recipes and this one is by far my favourite. I made it exactly as posted without any alternations. I found that the small amount of sugar really helped reduce the sourness of the sour cream.
Mild tasting soup - easy to make.
Absolutely loved this, cheese soup is a bit of a novelty for us here, but I am fast becoming an addict! Made this exactly as recipe, so very easy, and used regular sour cream and cheese rather than the light versions, simply because that's what I have in the fridge! A fabulous soup which we enjoyed with Sharons Gotta-Have-It Garlic Bread, wow, we were so spoiled!! This is a winner of a meal, to be enjoyed again and again! NO leftovers, lol! Made for Aus/NZ swap#35