Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the Cabot Cheese folks, this is a lightened up version of the delicious Cheddar Butternut Squash Soup. Russians use a lot of sour cream, so I have put this in my Russian cookbook!
Top Review by waffey
Loved this soup, thanks for posting. I have tried several butternut squash soup recipes and this one is by far my favourite. I made it exactly as posted without any alternations. I found that the small amount of sugar really helped reduce the sourness of the sour cream.
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup light cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 stalks chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine squash and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until squash is vry tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand until warm, then puree in batches in the blender.
- Return the puree to the saucepan and place over medium low heat. Stir in the sour cream, cheddar, butter and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the soup until heated through. Don't allow it to boil. Now taste the soup, adding brown sugar if not sweet enough. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve. Enjoy!