Recipe by Shelby Jo
From Bon Apetit magazine July 2008. "The all-American cheeseburger get's a makeover, courtesy of grilled onions, a spicy-smoky ketchup, and an English muffin bun."
Top Review by Well-Aged Cooky
This is very, very good. I cooked the balsamic vinegar on the onions down until it was reduced and syrupy, and added more chipotle and adobo, and didn't have tomatoes or spinach, but it was still excellent!!
- 453.59 g red onion, cut crosswise into 1/3 to 1/2 inch rounds
- olive oil
- 3.69 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 7.39 ml chopped chipotle chilies, from canned chipotle chilies in adobo
- 29.58 ml adobo sauce, from can
- 9.85 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1020.58 g 80% lean ground beef (15%-20% fat)
- coarse kosher salt
- 6 slice sharp cheddar cheese (thick slices)
- 6 large English muffins or 6 large hamburger buns, split & grilled
- 6 slice tomatoes
- 473.18 ml fresh spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- DO AHEAD; CAN BE MADE UP TO 3 DAYS AHEAD! Prepare grill to medium high heat. Arrange onion rounds on baking sheet. Brush with oil; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt and pepper. Transfer onion rounds to grill rack; close cover. Cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Toss with vinegar. Cover and chill.
- Chipotle Ketchup:.
- DO AHEAD; CAN BE MADE UP TO 3 DAYS AHEAD!
- Mix ketchup, chilies, adobo sauce, and 2 teaspoons vinegar in small bowl. Season with salt and more vinegar, if desired. Cover and chill.
- Shape beef into 6 1/2 inch-thick patties. Sprinkle patties on both sides with coarse salt and pepper.
- Prepare grill to medium high heat. Place burgers on grill. Close cover; cook burgers until bottoms start to darken and juices rise to surface, about 3 minutes. Turn burgers; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes longer for medium-rare. Top with onions and cheese. Close cover; cook until cheese melts.
- Place grilled English muffin or bun bottoms on plates; spread with ketchup. Top with burgers, tomatoes, spinach, and grilled muffin tops. Serve, passing remaining ketchup separately.